Josie Maran Josie Maran World Josie Maran pictures Josie Maran videos Josie Maran articles Josie Maran forums Josie Maran
Josie Maran World

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm off to a trackday, update: I survived
shiyan
post Oct 7 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Nurburgring addict

Group: **Root Admin**
Member No.: 182

Hopefully everything goes well... fingersx.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Uncle Mike
post Oct 7 2007, 04:41 AM
Post #2

Josie worshipper

Member No.: 12

Have fun, my friend, but please be careful. smile.gif

--------------------
Josie-Maran.Com WAS "Heaven on Earth"!

JosieMaran-World is "The New Heaven".

I Support Compassion International
(My Little Girl Lives in Mexico)

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 7 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Nurburgring addict

That post was just in case anything bad happened to me, so that you guys would know what's up...

I scared myself shitless, but had a lot of fun at the same time. Almost lost control a lot of times, but managed to avoid any wrecks D.gif

+Quote Post
pietje-tering
post Oct 7 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Josie worshipper

Group: *Worshippers*
Member No.: 196

QUOTE(shiyan @ Oct 7 2007, 09:05 PM) *
That post was just in case anything bad happened to me, so that you guys would know what's up...

I scared myself shitless, but had a lot of fun at the same time. Almost lost control a lot of times, but managed to avoid any wrecks D.gif

biggthumpup.gif

+Quote Post
Uncle Mike
post Oct 8 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #5

Josie worshipper

Hey, how about some details for those of us who are not familiar with Nurburgring? A Website I can visit? I found one, but I think it's not the official site.

How fast did you go? How many laps?

How many people were on the track with you? Cars and motorcycles?

Did you remember to wear a diaper, in case of an "accident"? kekekegay.gif

I'm glad that you had fun, and that you are still in one piece. We can't afford to lose you, my friend. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 8 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #6

Nurburgring addict

QUOTE(Uncle Mike @ Oct 8 2007, 02:56 AM) *
Hey, how about some details for those of us who are not familiar with Nurburgring? A Website I can visit? I found one, but I think it's not the official site.

How fast did you go? How many laps?

How many people were on the track with you? Cars and motorcycles?
Did you remember to wear a diaper, in case of an "accident"? kekekegay.gif
I'm glad that you had fun, and that you are still in one piece. We can't afford to lose you, my friend. smile.gif

thanks D.gif

on the highway going to the ring I tested out the max speed of the car when I hit a 5 lane highway (sunday morning at 8AM - not many cars) - hit an indicated 255km/h or 158mph

on the Nurburgring itself I was too busy watching where I'm going to look at the speedo, but I'm guessing around 200km/h or roughly 120mph - it's very twisty, and the long straight they turned into the toll booth

this is a video of someone driving a car similar to my own, on a very good lap (definitely not "just cruising around") http://youtube.com/watch?v=eU_0mgK5ybQ

here's a good site for general info on the 'Ring: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/beginners.html

the most important bits:

"Greatest & most challenging race circuit in the world" - Jackie Stewart

"The Ring is, quite simply, the ultimate driving experience. 13 miles and at least 73* bends add up to what even top racing drivers describe as the most demanding circuit in the world. It's impossible to describe just how good it is until you've been there, but if you can imagine your favourite mountain road and your favourite race-track, and combine the best bits of the two, you'll get the general idea."

"the Ring was designed as a dual-purpose test track and race circuit. When not being used for these purposes, it was made available for public access, a tradition that - thankfully - continues today."

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 8 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #7

Nurburgring addict

here's what I posted in another forum:

I don't think I've ever had as much fun / been as scared as today.

I think I'm hooked.

I went with a few other driving enthousiasts I met off another forum.

First, we all piled into an EVO 8 for a lap with the guy who had gone 5 times before (Ronnie). The ride in the EVO 8 was a blast. That car hauls ass on track! Even though there were 4 of us in the car, he was passing most cars.

After that it was another guy (Tom)'s turn in his modified Dodge Stealth RT TT with 350hp, with Ronnie being his guide. After half a lap the Stealth's brake rotor BROKE OFF!!! Was glad to hear they were ok though, as well as the car.

We tried to go with the EVO and my car on the track, but the track was closed due to an accident. The 3 of them decided to take off back to Belgium in Ronnie's EVO to pick up a spare rotor and tools to fix the Stealth, so I was left to tackle the Ring on my own.

My first time on any racing track, on the most daunting track in the world, without knowing the layout of it... I was scared!

Right from the off it almost goes wrong - just into my 2nd turn and I almost lose control. It got better after that but I still had a dozen "oh shit!" moments. The 2nd lap was already a lot smoother, and I started overtaking some cars.

I went and let the car cool off for a bit, and just when I went back to get my car for another 2 laps, the track is closed due to an accident again (there were many today, I saw at least 3 per lap that I did) which was particularly bad. Perhaps that was for the better, as the sun was setting and quite low, affecting visibility.

All in all, the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Epic failure on my part in terms of pictures, I took my camera but forgot the batteries frown.gif

But here's short video of the brake rotor which broke off: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...91341&hl=en

There was an in car video when the rotor broke, I'll post that as soon as Tom uploads it.

I think I've found the pix!

Evo 8 with all 4 of us

Ronnie and Tom in the Stealth

and the eekmobile!

+Quote Post
Uncle Mike
post Oct 8 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #8

Josie worshipper

That is just incredible! Thanks for all the info and pics. How do you go from that, and then try to drive the speed limit back home? D.gif

You did 158 mph? Holy F**king Shit!!!! I'd probably have a heart attack. kekekegay.gif

That guy in the vid was hauling ass, and passing cars like they were standing still. wink.gif

Is it very far from your home?

Next time, set up a video camera in your car, so we can see you drive, and hear you scream like a little girl. kekekegay.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobg
post Oct 8 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Josie worshipper

Member No.: 510

It´s in the west of Germany, and the home of the German Grand Prix..a kind of Hall of Fame. There are people who camp there just to drive around the circuit the next day. It´s like Lourdes in France - a pilgrimage site.

Mike, is it far from Antwerp ? Texans. In Europe, you can drive for a few hours and cross a dozen borders.

Shi, the red car with the black stripes looks suspiciously like a Ferari - but has the shape of the Ford GT..the best car Ford put together thefinger.gif

Glad to hear you´re home safe..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Uncle Mike
post Oct 9 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #10

Josie worshipper

Sorry, Bob, for the stupid question. Geography was never one of my fav subjects, and I keep forgetting that Texas is larger than many countries. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobg
post Oct 9 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #11

Josie worshipper

QUOTE(Uncle Mike @ Oct 9 2007, 01:41 AM) *
Sorry, Bob, for the stupid question. Geography was never one of my fav subjects, and I keep forgetting that Texas is larger than many countries. wink.gif

You Texans, especially the guy from Crawford, are (in)famous for your geography kekekegay.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 9 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Nurburgring addict

QUOTE(Uncle Mike @ Oct 8 2007, 05:42 AM) *
That is just incredible! Thanks for all the info and pics. How do you go from that, and then try to drive the speed limit back home? D.gif

You did 158 mph? Holy F**king Shit!!!! I'd probably have a heart attack. kekekegay.gif

That guy in the vid was hauling ass, and passing cars like they were standing still. wink.gif

Is it very far from your home?

Next time, set up a video camera in your car, so we can see you drive, and hear you scream like a little girl. kekekegay.gif

I think I'm in 2 different modes between driving on track and on the street. It's actually quite relaxing not to have to drive fast and watch your mirrors for faster cars.

Up to around 150mph the car was very stable, at top speed it was slightly more nervous.

I was going nowhere as fast as that guy in the video - perhaps once I've learnt the track and got more familiar with how my car handles on track I'll get close.

Driving there took 3 hours but the last hour and a bit of driving was on very winding roads, very scenic with the autumn colors

Indeed I really wish I had a video camera set up - the shop I went to didn't have a suitable camera in stock, but I should have one for my next trip.

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 9 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Nurburgring addict

QUOTE(bobg @ Oct 8 2007, 02:19 PM) *
It´s in the west of Germany, and the home of the German Grand Prix..a kind of Hall of Fame. There are people who camp there just to drive around the circuit the next day. It´s like Lourdes in France - a pilgrimage site.

Mike, is it far from Antwerp ? Texans. In Europe, you can drive for a few hours and cross a dozen borders.

Shi, the red car with the black stripes looks suspiciously like a Ferari - but has the shape of the Ford GT..the best car Ford put together thefinger.gif

Glad to hear you´re home safe..

Indeed's it's the mother of all racing tracks biggthumpup.gif

The red car is a Dodge Stealth R/T TT, it's actually mechanically identical to the Mitsubishi 3000 GT besides the name and badge

I'm really glad I didn't mess up because 200~300 people die there each year, and many many more have wrecks - I saw at least 6 wrecks on my 2 laps

+Quote Post
bobg
post Oct 9 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #14

Josie worshipper

QUOTE(shiyan @ Oct 9 2007, 05:49 PM) *
Indeed's it's the mother of all racing tracks biggthumpup.gif

The red car is a Dodge Stealth R/T TT, it's actually mechanically identical to the Mitsubishi 3000 GT besides the name and badge

I'm really glad I didn't mess up because 200~300 people die there each year, and many many more have wrecks - I saw at least 6 wrecks on my 2 laps

I had no idea that so many people died there...and you still went there ? and risked your BMer ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 9 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #15

Nurburgring addict

I just had to do it happysad.gif

Was one of my short term dreams that I wanted to fulfill redface.gif

+Quote Post
Uncle Mike
post Oct 10 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #16

Josie worshipper

Hey guys, I'm leaving for a few days. I'm going to visit my Dad and family. Be back next Mon night. wink.gif

BTW, Bob, I'll be driving about 400 miles, and I'll still be in Texas. kekekegay.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 14 2007, 01:26 AM
Post #17

Nurburgring addict

Going again today, armed with video and photo camera this time

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 14 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #18

Nurburgring addict

This week, I did around 30~40 laps on the ring on the PC, as well as watch quite a lot of onboard videos to get familiar with the track.

On my 2nd lap today (my 4th ever lap), there was almost no traffic, and I supposedly took 8:30 from Antoniusbrucke to the overpass at the end of the lap, according to my friend's stopwatch (I didn't know he was timing me)

The fastest published lap I've seen for my car is 8:32, but that includes the bit of Dotinger Hohe between the overpass and Antoniusbrucke, which adds around 25s to the laptime.

I'm very pleased. facesjump.gif

I did 4 more laps after that but traffic got bad, and my tyres seemed to lose some of their performance too. Even so most laps were around 9:10 despite traffic and yellow flags

On one lap I almost crashed though - took Brunnchen too fast and ended up drifting through the graveltrap at the exit - happened too fast for me to even think "oh shit! eek4.gif"

I don't recall many cars passing me today - A Porsche 997 GT3, a stripped out E36 M3, but not that many other cars eek5.gif

Bikes suck though - oftentimes they pass you on the straight and then block the road through the turns

Oh yeah some pictures redface.gif

captured by webcam:

me about to pass somebody redface.gif

map of the Ring

an example of the roads taken to go to the Ring:

view from the top of the Nurburg castle

+Quote Post
shiyan
post Oct 15 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #19

Nurburgring addict

Video! D.gif

unfortunately a lot of traffic and yellow flags on this lap, but I think the driving was ok

was only overtaken by a 997 GT3 and one very very fast biker

http://josiemaran-world.com/shiyan/Z4/Nurb...ap-20071014.avi

and a few more cool shots

+Quote Post
Uncle Mike
post Oct 16 2007, 01:25 AM
Post #20

Josie worshipper

Thanks, again, for those wonderful pics and that incredible vid. I wish I could ride with you. D.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 06:19 PM
page views since January 10, 2007   AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Josie Maran World